Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas Memories from the Original Messenger Staff

The photo above is of our Messenger staff Christmas trip to Gatlinburg Tennessee. The late Ernie Cox, with Charter Bus Tours, was our driver as was Fred Crump.
The Messenger is no longer in publication .

 Tisha's Memories
 I remember one year I was probably 11 or 12.  The stores came out with these miniature arcade games. They looked like the full size ones, but they were table top size.  Well, I wanted a Pac Man one.  I knew mom had “stuff” hid in her closet.  So one day while she was at work I dug in the closet until I found it; the Pac Man game.  I searched the house over for batteries.  I was so desperate I went over to my next door neighbor Bobby’s house and asked him for some batteries.  Of course he asked why, and I told him.  Well, he had no batteries so I went home and put everything back up.  A couple of days later he asked mom if I ever found any batteries for that game.  I got myself caught.
 My birthday is December 24 and mom always let me pick out something from under the tree for my birthday present.  One year I got a pink Barbie corvette.  My girls today still play with it.  I never got to have a birthday party, but I always felt special because my birthday was on a special day.  On Christmas morning we’d get up and open the rest of the presents.  It is different I guess than having several brothers and sisters.  Being an only child Christmas morning at the Thomas house was a quiet event.  My mom and dad and I would eat dinner then we would hand out the presents.  There is a little more excitement on Christmas morning at my house as Tabitha, Larissa, Lonnie and I open our gifts.  When I was young we’d go to Mamaw Thomas’ house first.  Mamaw would be in the kitchen cooking and papaw would be sitting in his chair.  We were always the first ones to arrive at Mamaws house.  My dad’s brother, Doug, and his family would stop by. We’d eat dinner and then go to Mamaw and Papaw Landsaw’s and would stay at their house for a while.  Then we’d stop back in at Mamaw and Papaw Thomas’ and visit with my dad’s brother Allen because he came in later.  That was Christmas for many years as I can remember. Tisha Thomas Mitchell

Debbies Memories
My favorite Christmas memory was the year I got my record player. I really thought I was cool when I got to play and sing along to the songs on my Partridge Family album. And did I ever think David Cassidy was it as I listened to him belt out the tune of I think I love You.
Christmas at the Gardner house was a fun filled holiday as my brothers Rod, Gary and Jeff opened their gifts of fire engines and BB guns and my sister Rhonda Faye and I opened our dolls. I loved baby dolls but didn’t much care for Barbie dolls. Santa always brought us the prettiest baby dolls. My brother Rod always wanted to do art work on our dolls and would draw them some new eyelashes among other features I won’t mention.
We would always be happy with the gifts we got and we played with them year round. We got things we needed too like hats and gloves to keep us warm in the cold winter months. Mom always cooked a wonderful Christmas meal and each year she would make us some chocolate fudge and cream candy, which was a big deal to us. Just the idea of knowing that our mother made it for us was made the candy very special. Anything that a mom makes for her kids is always special and I realized that even when I was a child. I think we should all truly appreciate each year that we are able to celebrate such a blessed season with our family and loved ones.  Having family who loves and cares for each other is reason enough to celebrate anytime of the year. I try to keep the spirit of Christmas alive in my heart all year long.-Debbie Gardner McCord


Kym's Memories
All my childhood memories of Christmas are special. Back in those days we didn’t get stuff year ‘round so the anticipation of Christmas morning was pure exhilaration.
Mommy always made sure that first and for most we understood the true meaning of Christmas. She would tell us about how Jesus was born and about the Star of wonder and how the kings and wise men followed that bright star to Bethlehem to give gifts to the Holy child.  Daddy loves Christmas and he always made sure all our childhood Christmas mornings were memorable. To this day I don’t know who is more excited, daddy or all the grand kids when we open gifts.
When I think back to those days of Christmas when I was a little girl I remember the excitement of knowing that on Christmas morning we would wake up to find all kinds of new stuff to play with. By the time all six of us had opened our gifts our living room looked like a toy shop.
I can’t decide whether my favorite memory was the Christmas we all got new bicycles or the year I got my first tape recorder or the year we got those big wheels or maybe it was the year Dwayne got that race car track. I didn’t really like baby dolls or Barbie dolls. I loved the dump trucks and BB guns my brothers opened on Christmas morning.  Our house was filled with lots of noise as we tore into our gifts. Christmas Eve night was our traditional time to go to Mamaw Pettit’s house to open gifts and to have our Christmas dinner. Papaw always had each of us a little brown bag filled with fruit and holiday candy. I remember how I was always fascinated with the nativity figurines that always sat beneath mamaw’s Christmas tree. I loved the tiny and delicate baby Jesus in the manger and the rich colors of the wise men’s robes and turbans. Somehow I managed to get mamaw to give me those old family heirlooms that once belonged to my great grandmother.  Each year I carefully unpack the time worn figures of Mary, (uh, well I have lost Joseph) and the three wise men to be placed among my own Christmas decorations.
Our house is still filled with lots of noise on Christmas day when our family gets together to celebrate. Each year it is like having an extra special gift to open as we watch our kid’s excitement on Christmas morning and we let our memories drift back to our own childhood.
Kymberly Hawkins King
From the hearts and homes of the Messenger Staff, to the hearts and homes of everyone, we wish you a Very Merry Christmas season and a truly meaningful New Year filled with love, health and prosperity.

No comments:

Post a Comment